Preview of Machiavelli: On Success in Corporate Power Politics
This is a free preview (12 minutes) of the Machiavelli: On Success in Corporate Power Politics course. The description of the full course (51 minutes) is provided below.
Quickly get to the heart of Machiavelli's medieval classic "The Prince"- a must read for aspiring CEOs.
His advice about renaissance statecraft applies directly to modern corporations.
107 pages condensed into an hour of video lectures.
This is a great use of valuable time for busy people.
We correct the old misconceptions about Machiavelli as a voice of evil and focus on his pre-occupation with stability and good order.
We provide a full transcription of the course as a pdf file which you can read alongside the video lectures.*Discover how to build consensus after mergers, takeovers or acquisitions.
*Eliminate office politics - identify and avoid those who might challenge your authority.
*Select team members who share your vision and values.
*Accentuate the qualities of strong leaders and remove any obvious weaknesses.
*Thrive by establishing you own stable culture which recognises and calms natural fears.
*Learn when and how to exert your authority without harming your reputation.
- This course teaches the central observations in The Prince on strong leadership and politics
- We invite you to draw parallels with modern corporate life and apply the lessons to your role as a leader in business
- Learn how to build consensus
- Deal with challenges to your authority
- Identify wise counsellors and build a great team
- Win your workforce to your cause
- Know when to be forceful and when to be lenient
- Model the most positive character traits as Machiavelli sees them
- Deal with negative attributes
- Stop your team from engaging in harmful office politics
Introduction and intended outcomes - 10 minutes
- Promotional Introduction
- Do you need to learn more about Corporate Power Politics?
- What's the value in this course?
- Corporate politics compared with medieval statecraft
Creating the right impression - 6 minutes
- The heart of the matter - "loved or feared"
- Moral versus social order
Consensus, consensus, consensus - 7 minutes
- The importance of building consensus
- Building consensus - "crushed or pampered"
Taking and maintaining control - 8 minutes
- Dealing with people after mergers, acquisitions and takeovers
- Establish control
- Stay in control
Personal characteristics of the modern prince - 10 minutes
- When virtues become vices
- Seeing people as they really are
- The qualities of a corporate prince
- Friends, foes and flatterers
Summary - 10 minutes
- Summing it all up and distilling the value
- 12 page course documentation
- Assess how far you are progressing towards your preferred outcome state
About the Expert