Preview of Fundraising With a PLAN - How to Create & Implement a Fundraising Development Plan
This is a free preview (6 minutes) of The Fundraising With a PLAN - How to Create & Implement a Fundraising Development Plan course. The description of the full course (23 minutes) is provided below.
Fundraising isn't easy.
What makes it more difficult is the trap people often fall into - the Shotgun Approach to fundraising. The Shotgun Approach is basically the "let's try everything and see what sticks" method of fundraising; it means saying yes to and implementing every well-meaning idea for a new event.
*A December 2015 article in the Stanford Social Innovation Review by Heather Yandow reports on research that shows that the clearest predictor of a nonprofit's success in raising money from individuals is having a formal fundraising plan.
But how do you, as a Development Professional, nonprofit CEO, or board member explain to your boss and/or your Board of Directors the need for a systematic approach to raising money, a plan, and solid delivery on the plan?
In this class, you will learn what a Development Plan is and how it is used, who the stakeholders are in the Development Plan process, and explore how to approach conversations about the need to create, implement, and stick to a solid Development Plan.
*Attendees will receive two downloadable sample Development Plan templates!
After taking this course, you will be able to:
- Describe what a Development Plan is and why it is important in fundraising
- Describe the common components of a Development Plan
- Identify who the stakehholders are in having and using a Development Plan
- Gain the ability to articulate to executives or Boards of Directors why creating a Development Plan and gaining buy-in from close stakeholders is important and how the Plan’s implementation could benefit the organization
- Begin to envision how such components would be translated within their own organization (or if not already working in the industry, envision how components could be translated into different nonprofit vertical industries like the arts or human services)
This course is for professionals within the following business functions:
- Nonprofit executives
- Members of Boards of Directors
*Full participation in Fundraising with a PLAN is applicable
for 1.0 point in Category 1.B – Education of the CFRE International
application for initial certification and/or recertification.
Part 1: What is a Development Plan - 3 Minutes
- Part 1. What is a Development Plan?
Part 2: The Benefits of Having a Development Plan - 5 Minutes
- Part 2. The Benefits of a Good PLAN
- AFP Article: Factors Affecting Fundraising Costs
- Characteristics of the Plan
Part 3: Categories of the PLAN - 15 Minutes
- Part 3: The Categories Within the PLAN
- Sample Development Plan
- Sample One-Page Development Plan
Part 4: Exercise - 1 Minutes
Part 5: Stakeholders with Exercise - 2 Minutes
- Stakeholders with Exercise
Summary - 2 Minutes
- Article: Why You Need a Development Plan
Test Your Knowledge
- Ungraded Quiz
About the Expert
Tracy Vanderneck, MSM, CTL, CFRE