New Manager - The Basics and More of Being a Great Leader
Go from a slightly uncertain, confused newbie to a confident, skilled manager who builds and leads effective teams.
Learn the basic concepts, tools and skills that you will need to become successful as a manager. Learn how to build and lead effective teams through both the easy and the hard times.
Build a strong foundation for your successful leadership with this comprehensive course
- Learn to communicate clearly and how to work with constructive feedback.
- Recognize and use group dynamics for better results.
- Manage conflicts and relationships in a productive, energy efficient way.
- Build motivated and self-learning teams with a high level of trust.
- Learn how to best manage the demands and expectations of the management role.
Time and Energy Saving Knowledge and Skills at Your Disposal
This course is built on more than 20 years experience with training new and experienced managers from all corners of the world.
Successful managers have all invested in their leadership skills. These skills are often what makes or breaks a new manager.
Content and Overview
I designed this course to be easily understood and applied by absolute beginners. Each section contains a separate "Get Started Today" lecture to get you up to speed right away.
Complete with easy-to-digest theories, models and practical examples. A total of 10 sections with over 60 lectures filled with proven tips and tricks, with quizzes at the end of each section to help you grasp the key concepts.
After taking this course, you will be able to:
- You will walk away from this course with a solid toolbox of skills and knowledge that you can use to succeed in your new management role.
- You will be able to communicate more clearly, give and receive constructive feedback and manage conflicts.
- You will understand group dynamics and be able to adjust your leadership to the development stage of your team.
- You will avoid energy drains by clarifying expectations, guidelines for behavior and working with values.
- You will be able to motivate yourself and others, build trusting and effective relationships while managing the challenges related to the management role.
This course is for professionals within the following business functions:
- This course is terrific for everyone.
Introduction to the Course - 10 Minutes
- Welcome to the Course
- Three Quick Tips to Get You Started
- Download: Reflection Support Sheet - Individual
- Download: Reflection Support Sheet - Group
- Download: Reflection Support Sheet - Instruction
The Difference Between Management and Leadership - 12 Minutes
- The Two Dimensions of Teamwork
- Using the Two Dimensions
- Definition of Management and Leadership
- Management and Leadership Quiz
Giving and Receiving Feedback - 35 Minutes
- The Science and Art of Feedback
- Three Questions to Ask Yourself Before Giving Feedback
- Seven Tips for Giving Feedback
- How Much "Positive" and "Negative" Feedback to Give
- Understand the All Important Relationship Account
- I-Statements for Effective Feedback
- Download: I-Statements Worksheet
- Receiving Feedback
- Feedback Quiz
Communication - 22 Minutes
- The Four Levels of Communication
- Having a Clear Outcome
- The Arrow of Credibility
- Using Responsible Language
- Download: Responsible Language Worksheet
- Download: Responsible Language Worksheet - Answers
- Active Listening
- Communication Quiz
Group Dynamics - 70 Minutes
- A Group is Made Up of Relationships - Duh!
- Three Preferences in Groups
- Group Development: First Stage
- Group Development: Second Stage
- Group Development: Third Stage
- Real Life Examples of Group Development Stages
- How to Adjust Your Leadership to the Group's Maturity
- Group Development Quiz
- Ground Rules for Behavior in Groups
- Ground Rules Quiz
- Differences and Similarities and the Effect on the Group
- Differences and Similarities Quiz
Conflict Management - 45 Minutes
- The Definition of Conflict
- The Five Conflict Styles
- Real Life Examples of the Five Conflict Styles
- Two Attitudes: Harmony View and Conflict View
- Conflict Management Quiz
- Why Expectations Matter
- How You Can Manage Expectations Effectively
- Expectations Quiz
- The Vital Importance of Acknowledgement
- The Acknowledgement Scale
- Acknowledgement Quiz
Values and Ethics - 25 Minutes
- What Are Values and Why Should You Care?
- Personal Value and How They Influence Your Life
- Download: Personal Values Worksheet
- Organizational Values and How to Use Them
- Values Quiz
- Ethical Decision Making
- Download: Ethical Checklist
Reflection - 12 Minutes
- How to Use Reflection for Growth
- The Well of Reflection - Getting to the Core of Learning
- The Reflection Spiral: A Four Step Process
- Reflection Quiz
Motivation - 36 Minutes
- Communicating the Big Picture
- Clarify What is Lacking to Help Others Improve
- Use the Dynamics of Pain and Pleasure
- Make Your Colleagues Feel Seen
- Set Stimulating and Inspiring Goals
- Download: Goal setting checklist
- Motivation Quiz
Trust and Openness - 15 Minutes
- What is Trust? Definitions and Examples
- The Trust and Openness Spiral
- The Magic of Small Talk
- The Border Between What is Personal and What is Private
- Trust and Openness Quiz
The Manager Role - 35 Minutes
- The Definition of a Specialist and of a Manager
- Three Psychological Obstacles and Their Solutions
- How to Use Your Precious Time Effectively
- Responsibilities and Authorities: Getting Clear and Staying Healthy
- Avoiding the Short Circuit Which Destroys Confidence and Respect
- The Double Representative
- A New Skill Set and A New Focus to Succeed
- The Manager Role Quiz
About the Expert