Art Fundamentals covers the key foundational principles that underly artwork and it's creation. You'll discover the core fundamentals you need to know in order to be effective at learning to draw and paint, be it digital or traditional. Whether you're an aspiring concept artist, illustrator or comic artist, or you want to create beautiful paintings or manga illustrations from your imagination - this course is designed for artists of all levels.
Master The Essential Foundational Principles Of Drawing and Painting
- Learn how images are built, from 2D shapes to final finished paintings
- Understand how looseness, line weights and penmanship impact your artwork
- Grasp the fundamentals of a strong art workflow, and the real goal of a "rough"
- Gain insight on moving from vision to implementation, and reaching your idea
- Recognise the empirical patterns apparent in all artwork
- Learn to differentiate between art studies and art creation, and make real progress
- Embrace true 3D drawing by learning to "Draw Through"
Learn Why Appealing Art Looks The Way It Does, And How To Do It
Professional concept artists, illustrators and painters have a deep understanding of how images are made - not just surface level things like "how to draw a head" or "How to paint a sky", but the in-depth background understanding of why an image looks good, and feels good to look at. I'll show you the important fundamentals you need to know in order to have strong foundations in principles of creating art, whether you want to draw, paint, create comics, design concept art or illustrate manga.
Art Fundamentals is the first course of a series, which covers cornerstone fundamentals of art creation for imaginative representational realism - drawing and painting realism from your imagination. This course is designed for imaginative and creative people who want to draw and paint from their minds, no matter the style or medium.
I've designed this course to be easily understood, and allow for efficient learning. Primarily focused on digital tools, most (if not all) principles apply equally to traditional art tools as well, and you'll quickly see how you can switch between mediums easily. This first course covers the absolute foundations of imagery, and is a necessary step before moving onto other extra-course topics such as Perspective, Light and Form, Color, Composition, Anatomy, Character Design, Environment Design, Industrial Design and many more.
Upon completing this course, you'll have a rock solid grasp of how art is made fundamentally - both in terms of workflow, and fundamental principles. You'll be ready to approach studying other topics with the right artistic mindset, and a comprehensive set of skills.
What are the requirements?
- No prior art knowledge is needed for this course
- Students are encouraged to take personal notes, in order to aid memory retention
After taking this course, you will be able to:
- Understand the Core Principles of Creating Art
- Firmly Grasp the ideas of Shape, Form and Detail
- Draw and Paint with Looseness, Energy and Confidence
- Approach the Page with Vision and a Clear Workflow
- Build a Solid Foundation for Further Art Training
This course is for professionals within the following business functions:
- This course is for all levels of aspiring concept artists, illustrators, manga artists, comic artists, painters, industrial designers and imaginative realists.
- This course is both for absolute beginners to art as well as high end art professionals, and is focused on the foundations of imaginative realism - that is, drawing and painting from your imagination. The course content can be implemented both traditionally and digitally. This course is not for you if you’re interested in non-realism art, such as abstraction.
Introduction - 3 Minutes
- Intro to the Course
Fundamental Principles - 10 Minutes
- Introduction to the Foundation of Visual Images
- Understanding Shape
- Understanding Form
- Understanding Detail
- A Global Workflow for Art
Principles of Line and Stroke - 17 Minutes
- Introduction to Looseness, Lines and Brushstrokes
- Looseness in Art and Penmanship
- Warmup Techniques
- Understanding Line Weight
- Understanding Edges
- Drawing Thinly and Lightly
General Art Workflow: Vision to Implementation - 17 Minutes
- Intro to General Art Workflow
- Vision before Implementation
- Cornerstone: Rough Versus Refined
- Understanding the Concept of Drawing Through
- Art Studies versus Art Creation
- The General Art Workflow
- Implying Detail
Quality and Style and Next Steps - 3 Minutes
- Quality over Quantity
- Understanding Style
- Conclusion to Art Fundamentals
About the Expert