Business Writing - Get Results - No Stress
Situation - you are required to write in business and to make your point effectively.
Problem - you are not as effective as you should be or you get stressed doing it.
Need - this course to learn and apply the basic guidelines of effective writing.
Learn to Plan and Scan so that the reader's eye follows your message across the page.
Remember that we skim documents up to 9 times for key words before we read them.
- Distil your message to its essence in 12 words to prove you know your subject.
- Use the AIDA model to win Attention, build Interest and Desire to generate Action.
- Use the KISS rule to Keep It Short and Simple.
- Focus on the top 3 logical and emotional arguments in your writing.
- Discover tools to make sure you use Plain Language.
- Imagine you are writing for a reading age of 14 years.
- Get onto the reader's wavelength by mirroring the metaphors they use.
- Write powerful headlines and subject lines to make your point fast.
- Break your words up with white space, idents and bold to make it easier to follow
Using real life scenarios learn to write better:
memos and much more
Learn how to discover the keywords at the "sweet spot" which will help your writing to get found online. Write using keywords without your message sounding distorted.
In one way or another you will only ever be wrting about:
where we are - current circumstances
where we could go - our options
how to get there - the plan of action
If you keep to the plot of the story and remember why you are writing and who you are writing for, then what you are going to write will fall into place.
Eliminate the worst errors of grammar, spelling and punctuation with our list of the Top 20 most common problems.
We reveal the magic words which will help you to give and receive critical feedback on your writing without giving or taking any offfence.
The course will help anybody who is required to write in their business role to communicate effectively. If you need to be more effective or find that you get stressed and confused then this course will teach you the basic techniques on which you can rely.
The course is mostly video which has been designed to help you recall simple tool like:
Plan and Scan
SPIN and others
By making these tools easy to recall and by looking at before and after examples you will quickly be able to write in business and will greatly improve your personal reputation.
We are always available to answer your questions.
Includes relevant Mind Maps throughout and an hour of free coaching for those who complete the course if requested.
What are the requirements
- Familiarity with common word processing and presentation software
- Have a basic grasp of grammar, spelling and punctuation
- Experience in writing most of the standard business documents
After taking this course you will learn:
- Plan the writing of the major types of written business communication
- Be clear about why you are writing and the intended action or outcome
- Write to meet the needs of the reader
- Craft stand-out headlines which draw immediate attention
- Focus on the 3 main logical and emotional drivers in a business case
- Mirror the reader's language to maximise understanding
- Appreciate the value of tools such as SPIN and SWOT in the planning stage
- Use the AIDA model to gain attention, build interest and desire and get action
- Write in Plain Language using the KISS model - keep it short and simple
- Guide the eye through a message using white space, bold and indents
- Research key words which will be found by search engines
- Structure business proposals which sell on features and not just price
- Build your reputation by producing clear and concise reports
- Use executive summaries to begin complex documents
- Make your presentations memorable and easy to follow
- Deliver and receive feedback to improve without any offence
- Eliminate the most common errors of grammar, spelling and punctuation
- Get your point across first time every time
- Eliminate stress by following simple rules
This Course is For:
- People who are expected to be able to influence others, externally and internally, through well produced written documents
- Those who become stressed by the responsibility of putting their ideas onto paper for others to see and judge
- Executives who recognise that their reputation is built on being able to see wood for trees and to express their thoughts clearly
Introduction, Objectives and Overview - 7 Minutes
- Introduction and Overview - what are you going to learn?
- Overview and Objectives
- Content and Teaching Method
- Outline of the Guidelines
General Principles of Business Writing - 6 Minutes
- The Basics - Plan Everything
- Scan Everything
- Metaphor to get onto the reader's wavelength
Scenario 1 - Writing a Direct Mail Letter - demonstrating the guidelines - 14 Minutes
- Applying the guidelines to a Direct Mail Letter
- Scenario 1 - Why are we writing and who are we writing for?
- Scenario 1 - What are we going to write in order to be effective?
- Scenario 1 - How, Where and When?
- Comparing the Good and Bad Direct Mail Letters
Plain Language - 5 Minutes
- Plain Language and how to check you are writing it.
Writing Emails - 12 Minutes
- Scenario 2 - Writing an email to win support from all Board Members
- Scenario 2 Constructing an email using the guidelines
- Further observations on email
Applying the guidelines to a full range of business documents - 23 Minutes
- Formal Letters
- Business Proposals
Grammar, Spelling and Punctuation - 12 Minutes
- Keeping it sensible
- Top 20 Tips to cover the most comon errors
Writing for the Web - 12 Minutes
- The Importance of Keywords
- Press Releases
- Web Pages and Blog Posts
Giving and Receiving Feedback - 2 Minutes
- Something that would work better for me is.....
Summary as a Metaphor - 2 Minutes
- Summary - Business Writing is like being a Guide
About the Expert